Make-up 101

Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Basics

A lot of women who don't wear much or any make-up feel like they don't know where to start when they decide they would like to try some make up. My good friend Becky was in just that spot so a couple of weeks ago when we were in Sephora together she asked me to help her put together the basics. I was delighted and practically ran her through the store before she had a chance to change her mind. And not because I think she needed make-up because Becky is gorgeous without it, but because I was delighted at the idea of picking out a bunch of products at once and ones that would only enhance her gorgeousness.

We started with under eye concealer. Becky has very fair skin and therefore the under eye circles sometimes show. Under eye concealer is a product you shouldn't skimp on otherwise it just creases or doesn't really work. I recommend: Clinique's All About Eyes Concealer.

Apply this concealer like you would under eye cream patting it gently from the inner corner to the outer corner of your eye until it is all blended in.

Because Becky has such beautiful fair skin, she doesn't need any real foundation. I suggested she just use Get Even by Benefit Cosmetics. It is a light pressed powder that just evens everything out without really covering. It is easy to apply with the enclosed sponge and you just sweep it around your face.

Next we went back to the Clinique section to choose a mascara. There are a lot of good mascaras out there right now, but for basic mascara I go with Clinique's Naturally Glossy Mascara in Jet Black. In most cases black is the right color for mascara. Only those with really fair hair need a lighter color.

For blush we chose Blush Me! Trio by Sephora. I think blushes that combine colors give the most natural look. Instead of a sweep of one color you get a few blending together and it blends into your face more naturally.

Important for blush application is the right brush. I like a big, soft brush like Sephora's Rounded Powder Brush. They can be expensive, but since they last for years, it is worth it. Just don't forget wash them with some mild hand soap once a month or so.

Last, but certainly not least, is lipstick. Becky already had a tube of Nars lipstick so we didn't pick out anything new on our shopping trip. However, for those new to lipstick or never happy with what they get, I suggest you start by choosing sheer lipsticks (look for it to say "sheer") that are close to your natural lip color. If you like the look of gloss you can be a bit more experimental with color, but stick to the lighter shades. As you experiment more you can get more adventurous.

One of my favorite natural shades of sheer lipstick is Dolce Vita by Nars. My favorite lip gloss is Stila's Lip Glaze which is available in a variety of sheer colors almost any of which could be considered neutral.

So, those are the basics in my book. Any questions or comments?

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget I get 40% of MAC in case there's anything there that tickles your fancy... let me know as there is one on the UWS. xo ht

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love Stilla Lip glaze. So much, in fact, that I haven't bought new lipstick in years as that--and Kiehl's lip balm--is the only thing I put on my lips now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job picking out my basics. I can tell, because I am using them and you were completely right - takes 5 minutes and even I can't get it wrong.

    ReplyDelete